Identify and harness your employability skills
What are 'employability skills'?
In addition to the formal qualifications you gain from a School, University, TAFE or through an apprenticeship or traineeship and the practical skills you gain through experience, potential employers are often interested in what they describe as ‘employability skills’.
Employability skills include:
- Team work
- Initiative and enterprise
- Planning and organising
- Learning and technology.
Our Career Centres - located in Albany, Kalgoorlie and Esperance - can provide a range of FREE services including:
- Individual and/or group career guidance
- Resume and job application assistance
- Web based services
- Computer assisted career guidance programs
- Facilitated referrals to other services
- Education, training & labour market information.
Work experience involves going into a business and learning about the world of work and provides the opportunity to practice your skills. It is generally a short term industry placement with a host employer.
- Gain exposure to the ‘real’ world of work
- Clarify your career goals and expectations
- Find out how jobs tick ‘from the inside’
- Improve your ‘employability’
- Break the ‘can’t get a job without experience, can’t get experience without a job cycle
- Build confidence in your skills and abilities and put your learned skills into practice
- Develop useful industry contacts/ networks and referees.
10 tips to a well targeted resume
- Keep your layout neat and simple, using headings and dot points
- Be concise and relevant
- Use clear, easy to read fonts and take care with spelling and grammar (always spell check)
- Give a snapshot of your employment history, highlighting your key strengths and achievements
- When outlining your key achievements, show potential employers how you would add value to their business
- Avoid using jargon, slang and abbreviations
- Do not exaggerate, always ensure you can verify the content
- Use the same words in the job advertisement or position description, in your resume
- Keep the resume to a length of no longer than 3 pages
- Develop a resume template with the basic information that you can adapt for each position you apply for.